Sharon Baldeagle


Missing Since: Sep 18, 1984

Missing From: Eagle Butte, SD

DOB: Jun 26, 1972

Age Now: 45

Sex: Female

Race: American Indian

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Black

Height: 5'3"

Weight: 110 lbs



Fall River County Sheriff's Office (South Dakota) 1-605-745-4444


Sharon's photo is shown age-progressed to 36 years. She was last seen in Casper, Wyoming after being kidnapped. Foul play is suspected.

Age progressed

Age progressed

More information about Sharon from

"Details of Disappearance

Sharon ran away from her hometown of Eagle Butte, South Dakota on September 18, 1984, along with an older female friend. According to her companion, they were hitchhiking together in Casper, Wyoming when they were picked up by Royal Russell Long. A photo of him is posted with this case summary.

Long took the two girls to his home in Evansville, Wyoming, fed them, then offered them $100 for sexual services. When the girls refused, he tied them up at gunpoint, beat Sharon and raped her friend. The older girl escaped and went for help, but by the time police arrived at the residence, Long and Sharon were gone.

Long was apprehended in 1985 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Sharon wasn't with him and he said he did not know her whereabouts. He said he drove her to Cheyenne, Wyoming and put her on a bus or truck bound for Dallas, Texas and this was the last time he ever saw her.

Prosecutors considered charging Long with Sharon's murder, but they decided against it, and Sharon's father stated he believed his daughter was alive. Long pleaded guilty to two counts of kidnapping for the purpose of committing indecent liberties with a minor and was sentenced to two life terms in prison.

Long, a truck driver, is also a possible suspect in the disappearances of Deborah Meyer and Carlene Brown, who vanished from Wyoming in 1974, and he is the prime suspect in the disappearances of Cinda Pallett and Charlotte Kinsey, who vanished from the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on September 26, 1981.

He was charged with kidnapping and murdering Cinda and Charlotte after his 1985 arrest, but the charges were dismissed for lack of evidence. He died of a heart attack in prison in 1993. Sharon's father went to visit him shortly before his death, but Long refused to speak to him.

Sharon is the oldest of four siblings and disappeared right before she was going to begin her first year at Brainerd Indian School in Hot Springs, South Dakota. Her father is still alive and searched for her all over the country after her disappearance, traveling as far as Arizona.

There were possible sightings of her in Wisconsin and Colorado in the years following her disappearance. She has never been found and foul play is suspected in her case."

From Rapid City Journal in 2013:

"Every time Taylor Baldeagle sits down to eat, he begins with a prayer for his missing daughter.

Sharon Baldeagle disappeared in September 1984 at age 12. Baldeagle knows she's out there, somewhere, if only she could just be found.

Monday's miracle in Cleveland — the discovery and rescue of three women who disappeared roughly 10 years ago — gave voice to the hope inside Baldeagle. If those women could be found, so could Sharon.

"There's hope somewhere out there. ... It's a feeling you got to have to be in my shoes," said Baldeagle, Cheyenne River Sioux tribal judge.

Baldeagle describes Sharon, the oldest of four siblings, as a "daddy's girl" who danced in the tribal dances and was learning how to cook when she and another friend ran away on Sept. 18, 1984.

It was just weeks after starting her first year at Brainerd Indian School in Hot Springs. Sharon and the other girl made their way to Casper, Wyo., where they hitched a ride by a man named Royal Russell Long. He didn't take them far, just to his home in nearby Evansville. There, Long pointed a gun at the young women, tied them up and beat Sharon.

The friend escaped and called the police, who returned to an empty house. Law enforcement picked up Long a week later in Albuquerque, N.M. He pleaded guilty to kidnapping and one count of aggravated assault and died in prison in 1993. Long maintained he had dropped Sharon off with someone in Cheyenne who took her to Texas.

Shortly before Long died, Baldeagle visited the convicted kidnapper in prison. Long came to the window in the visitor's room, peeked out at Baldeagle and walked away.

"I wanted ... some inkling of what to hope for, which way she did go, anything," Baldeagle said.

Baldeagle searched for Sharon himself. He spent two months driving or hitching rides, reaching as far south as Arizona. Later, near Cody, Wyo., a truck driver asked Baldeagle what his remaining children were doing without him. The question put a lump in Baldeagle's throat and sent him back to Eagle Butte to wait for good news.

He's been waiting ever since.

From time to time, federal law enforcement officers would call with scraps of hope. In the late 1980s, there was a supposed sighting of Sharon in Sheboygan, Wisc. Another time it was in Westminster, Colo., a suburb of Denver. That sighting placed Sharon at a gas station, "sitting in a car in a daze," accompanied by an older woman.

Baldeagle is now 77. He survived a heart attack in 1993. He's taking chemotherapy for colon cancer. It's his mission to stay healthy, to keep his body strong. To live to 87, to 97, if necessary — to be there when Sharon finds her way home.

The rescue in Cleveland adds fuel to his determination."

Said Baldeagle: "There is hope. If you got a child missing, if you got a relative missing, don't give up, don't give up."